There are as much types of addiction as potentially addictive substances. Commonly, addictive substances or behaviors are gathered in groups that share some characteristics.
While drugs describe a group of substances that have the ability of stimulating the brain and inducing it to ecstasy, the truth about addiction is that it has so much to do with psychological matters. In fact, smoking and drug addictions are proofs of the psychological side of additive behaviors. Then the brain is trapped and a high damaging experience takes place.
For instance, drug addiction refers to a damaging circle that begins by a little amount of drugs and may end by deadly overdose. At that point, the coming back is still possible. But before, let’s discover the process from the start.
Drug addiction: the first steps in.
Drug addiction begins similarly to smoking addiction. They both have psychological roots when it is about answering the question “why to be on drugs?”. It is obvious that being on drugs signifies lack of self esteem, troubles, difficulties to fit in society and belonging signs. The difference between drugs and smoking is the speed of addiction development. In fact, the first steps in the drug administration are usually the beginning of the agony.
The following list is to summarize the common and known causes that lead to drug addiction:
- Social disorder: the subject faces difficulties to prove himself as a member of a given society or community. He is therefore forced to compensate what he is lacking by something else. In most cases, alcohol drinks and drugs are the best solution he can resort to. Unfortunately these the worst ever.
- Psychological disorder: intense anxiety and stress are two predominant factor that leads individuals to drug addiction. In hope of relieving the straggles, people may resort to these punctual and indeed futile happy and delightful moments.
- Environment constraint: the risk of being on drug is increased when the environment is full of dealers and consumers. The reality is the environment may promote the drug addiction; in fact criminality rate in the considered zone may be a factor that promotes drug dealing and use.
Drug addiction symptoms:
Drug addiction is different from casual drug use. There are some signs that might tell the person is in a state of addiction. Below is the most common symptoms.
- The person has the urgent need for drugs: he claims drugs energetically and may use violence in order to force the drug obtaining.
- Failure to abandon drugs: every time the person tries to quit taking drugs, he fails and might magnify his use afterward.
- Defending the state: the person tries to hide his unhealthy behavior by explaining how drugs help him to make it through life.
- Recurrent withdrawal symptoms: the patient behave abnormally. Body shakiness and high irritability are the most obvious signs of the body claiming the addictive substances; it might be accompanied by painful sensation in the joints.
Drug addiction effects:
Drug addiction affects the brain functionong besides the brain anatomy. In fact, the addictive substances are severely damaging the neurotransmitters balance and the neurones connections. They may also alter memories ; the subject may experience blackouts very frequently. The worst case is death by overdoses. With repetitive use of drugs, the quantity to take increases and th epatient may be completely dragged in. Recovering may take time, but it is always possible to go the way back.
Drug addiction is surely a big concern. Developing such unhealthy behavior is the result of several psycholigical disorders. The better is preventing the causes rather than suffer the consequences. Yet, prevention would be planned to cover whole generations to come, and it is a long term educational process indeed.