Alcohol is considered a delightful drink when it is taken at reasonable rates. Moreover it is the preferred drink in many country ; they make it their present drink and they manage to make it as tasty as they wish. But when the drinking rate exceeds the normal, when drinking becomes a threatening habit, when it makes the person permanently drunk and totally unaware of the irresponsible way he behaves, the drink becomes a bothersome. In fact, when the person can’t go through the day without drinking, then there is a big problem called alcohol addiction.
Alcohol anatomy :
Commonly, alcohols are drinks that contain a particular alcohol which is ethanol. Basically, alcohol designates a chemical substance ; an organic molecule containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. This molecule is usually produced by the fermentation process of carbohydrates. Actually, there are many sorts of alcohols according to the number of carbon atoms in the molecules.
Ethanol molecule is volatile and have particular odor. It has also anesthetic effect and an anti bacterial effect. It is this anesthetic property that is responsible of the mental and physical states of drunk persons; it is the direct responsible of the alcohol addiction.
Physiology of alcohol addiction:
Alcohol addiction is due to the anesthetic property of this compound. When a person drinks alcohols, the active substance competes with several neurotransmitters and induces the person in control lacks; he is no longer in perfect control of what he does or says. Ethanol attack hippocampal cells and restrains their activity. More over, this substance induces disturbances in the dopaminergic and glutaminergic processes and induces several damages -notably alcohol inflammation- in the longer term. Alcohol addiction is then a coverage for destructed neuro cells and a quest of some balance within the brain. In regular amounts, alcohol is broken and removed from the body. But at high amounts, alcohol damages can be severe.
Symptoms of alcohol addiction:
Alcohol addiction or alcohol abuse symptoms are numerous. The subject is easily described when he is drunk but the addiction behavior is more difficult to describe because the addicted tends to drink very often which can be common among alcohol drinkers.
- Addicted persons have difficulties to stop drinking or even to control how much they take. This situation provokes overdoses and may induce coma and even death.
- The persons suffering alcohol addiction can’t stop drinking even they are told to stop due to health issues as cirrhosis.
- Addicted persons have blackouts, which are memories lacks about any events that happens while they were drinking.
- Anxiety, shakiness and some others motion disorders are visible when the addicted persons are prevented from drinking. These are related to nervous disorders related to neuron destruction.
- Blood vessels look like spider net on the skin; due to the high blood pressure caused by the extra volume of liquids.
- Subjects are known for their eating disorders and their stomach issues resulting from the harmful effects of alcohol on the protective coat and the tract peristalsis.
- They develop readiness on the noise and the cheeks. Actually these are some sensitive regions when the blood flow is easily dragged in due to emotional situations.
Overcoming alcohol addiction:
It may be difficult to overcome alcohol addiction, but evaluating the benefits of drinking against those of drinking not is a useful way to help addicted to recover. There are a bunch of techniques used to help people to heal themselves; they are called self help techniques indeed. The subject lean how to include new habits to replace the unhealthy drinking habit.
Alcohol addiction seems to be a bit harder to overcome; in fact, it induces severe damages to critical parts of the body -brain and liver- and can result in deadly sessions. However, the subject will is the sole and the only way to win the challenge.